A secluded haven
where visitors are welcome
The club was founded in 1899 after several local businessmen got together and decided to form a golf club in Ormskirk. After considering several suitable sites, a section of Lathom Park was considered to be perfect. Having been originally part of a Royal Deer Park, it had never been under the plough, the top soil was sandy with little or no clay and there was an abundance of excellent turf.
To begin with a 9 hole course was created and, in December 1899, the course was officially opened when Lord Lathom drove the first ball and was then presented with the driver bearing a silver band. To satisfy the enthusiasm of the new members it was soon decided to extend the course to 18 holes. Harold Hilton was subsequently appointed and, in 1903, the new course was officially opened.
The course has changed a great deal over the years, with at least two major reconstructions since Harold Hilton transformed it into a full eighteen holes in 1903.
A crescent shaped hollow near the brook on the left of the 16th hole is reputed to have been an emplacement for a battery of Cromwell's forces which attacked Lathom House in 1644.
In 1903 a pint of beer cost 4d, the fee per round for a first class caddy was 10d and second class was 7d!
During the 1st world war, as part of the war effort, cattle were grazed on the course and a small area turned over to growing vegetables !
In 1940, before returning to Germany, the Luftwaffe discharged their remaining bombs on the course after a bombing raid on Liverpool!